One of the most photographed events in the world, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is an awesome spectacle of hundreds of colorful balloons taking to the sky. If you’re planning to attend the festival this year, we’ve got you covered with a survival guide to help you make the most of the weekend. If y0u want all the event details, check out the full Balloon Fiesta guide.
1. Be an early bird gets to watch the balloons set off – and see the sunrise. Festival grounds open at 4 am for morning sessions, and enthusiasts say it’s worth it.
2. Walk around and talk to the pilots — this is one of the only ballooning events that allows festival-goers to do so.
3. Visit at night to see the balloons glow in the dark and light up the night’s sky.
4. If you’re coming to a night session – bring a flashlight and take note of where you parked your car — when you leave the site at 9 pm it might be difficult to locate your car in the dark.
5. Take pictures! The festival is one of the most photographed events in the world. Bring your best camera and make sure it is fully charged and that you’re carrying spare batteries.
6. Remember that balloon take-off is completely weather dependent — so be patient!