Meet Joe DiTomaso, AllTheRooms’ co-founder and CEO. We sat down with Joe this week to hear his story and his tips for aspiring entrepreneurs.
Why did you become an entrepreneur?
A couple years ago, William Beckler and I started AllTheRooms, the world’s largest accommodations search engine. There are various reasons why I became an entrepreneur. Knowing that there is a better and smarter way to do something, along with a passion and strong desire to change the world, led me to start AllTheRooms.
What was the point that pushed you to make the jump?
For me, I was stagnant in my current career, lacking the feeling that I could breakthrough or breakout. I simply wasn’t satisfied with my life path fulfilling the status quo. To quote the protagonist in House of Cards, “Treading water is like drowning for people like you and I”. It takes a certain personality and personal strength to leave a steady job, career, and stable salary to risk it all.
Making the jump to leave your stable lifestyle requires a strong internal belief and calling that you were meant to do something greater and bigger than what you are currently doing. We created AllTheRooms because we knew that we could not only create something that was better than some sites that were already out there, but something that was the best.
What’s the ideology behind AllTheRooms? Why is it different?
The ideology that drives AllTheRooms isn’t to offer everything that offers the maximum profitability (i.e. hotels, hostels, etc.), but to offer every single place to stay to the traveler. In this way, we set ourselves apart from Tripping, Trivago, Kayak, etc. because we focus on providing every single option a traveler would want to see, in order of relevance to v the traveler.
Do you have any books that are a must-read for aspiring entrepreneurs?
I have an extended list, but here are just a few:
– Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values – Robert Pirsig
– What Every Angel Investor Wants you to Know – Brian S. Cohen
– Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator – Ryan Holiday
Do you have any tips for aspiring entrepreneurs?
1. Write down your 1 year, 3 year and 10 year goals. Keep these goals in a small journal and carry the journal around with you. Be sure you are constantly evaluating this list, and assessing what you are doing on a daily to get closer to your goals.
2. Pay attention to the things in your life preventing you from achieving your goals. You want to double down on the things helping you succeed and reach your goals, and remove the things in your life (obstacles) that are preventing you from achieving them.
3. Make sure to take care of yourself – physically, emotionally and mentally. Get on and stick with a workout and meditation routine.
Read More on ATR