The Space Rock Reach House, profiled in the April 2010 issue of Dwell magazine, is a modern steel house perched amidst a pristine high desert setting replete with enormous weathered boulders – along with ancient juniper, pinón and desert oak trees – in a private community near Joshua Tree National Park. The house is available for architecture and desert aficionados alike; or for anyone who simply wants to decompress in style and serenity.
Rock Reach House was completed in May 2009 as the first prototype home using systems from Blue Sky Building Systems. The house is framed with mostly light-gauge galvanized steel elements that were fabricated off site and rapidly bolted together on site. The shell of the house went up in five days and the house was complete in eight weeks. The only wood in the entire house is in the cabinets and the interior doors.
The house sits at just over 4,000 feet above sea level on a 2 1⁄2-acre parcel of land in the remarkable private community of Rock Reach within the Town of Yucca Valley in the Mojave Desert. All 320 acres of Rock Reach are characterized by expanses of heavily weathered boulders, along with ancient junipers, stunted desert oaks and resilient piñon pines. It is a high desert wonderland. Most of the landscape is untouched and every bit as unique as any land within nearby Joshua Tree National Park itself.
www-RockReachHouse-com Guest Access • Secluded four-person Jacuzzi-brand hot tub
• Cool dip “cowboy” tub
• Private outdoor shower (in addition to indoor shower)
• Outdoor fireplace (with free firewood)
• Yoga platform/ outdoor sleeping deck with lay flat loungers
• Picnic table
• Large steel deck with propane grill
• DirecTV service
• 60" HD TV with sound bar and powered subwoofer
• Two California king beds
• Two folding luggage racks
• Full kitchen with all new stainless steel appliances, stocked utensils, cookware and prep tools
• Stocked towels, hand soap and TP in the bathroom
• Various books and games in the living room
• Electric forced-air heating and cooling system
• Two-car carport
• Shampoo / Conditioner / Body Wash
• Blackout curtains in the bedrooms
• Electric car charger Interaction with Guests I live in Joshua Tree and am available by phone, email or text at all times. My property manager Brad is also available for your assistance. The Neighborhood The 320-acre community of Rock Reach is within the boundaries of the Town of Yucca Valley but it is a private community not open to the public. Zoning in Rock Reach is what is known as RL-5, which means rural land with a minimum of five acre lot sizes. The zoning was changed a few years ago from RL 2.5. So today our house sits on a 2 ½-acre parcel that is now regarded as a legal, nonconforming lot. Lot sizes in Rock Reach range from 2 ½ acres to 80 acres.
Currently there are only two neighbor homes adjacent to the property. One house is off to the west and is not visible at all. The Black Desert House that is visible directly north of the property was completed in the summer of 2012. Both of these homes are only occupied periodically. Getting Around Instagram: @rockreachhouse Other Things to Note • THE GRAHAM RESIDENCE (new on Airbnb!)
If the dates you want are booked we invite you to look at our other Blue Sky Building System's rental — The Graham Residence, just down the road from Rock Reach House. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18312865
A comprehensive website for the house can be found at www-RockReachHouse-com
• VIDEO TOUR
To watch a video tour of the house visit www-RockReachHouse-com/video
• DOG FEE
Dogs may be allowed but the renter must first contact the owner for discussion. There is a flat $60 per dog fee. Please review these guidelines as well at www-RockReachHouse-com/dogs
If you're interested in having an event at Rock Reach House please review the events guidelines at www-RockReachHouse-com/events
If you're interested in having a photoshoot at Rock Reach House please review the photo shoots guidelines at www-RockReachHouse-com/photoshoots
• FRESH JUICE DELIVERY
We offer fresh pressed juice delivery at Rock Reach House. Guests are able to have fresh juices delivered to their door daily (or in the fridge when they arrive!) by local Joshua Tree juice guru Angela de la Agua. Menus and pricing for this service will be emailed upon request.
For convenience, privacy, and relaxation, guests can request an in-house massage with Ryan Mussen of Mojave Massage. Book a neuromuscular therapeutic deep tissue massage, sports massage, swedish relaxation massage, or even a sound meditation session. Visit www-MojaveMassage-com for rates and booking information. Email us for more recommendations as well.
• HYPNOTHERAPY / MEDITATION
For deepening the mystical healing experience of the desert, guests can book a private, couples, or group session with spiritual teacher/hypnotherapist/meditation guide Cynthia Morgan. Visit www-cynthiamorgan-us for more information.
• PAPPY & HARRIET'S
If you plan to have dinner at Pappy & Harriet's, we strongly recommend making an advance reservation.
• SOCIAL MEDIA
If you plan on sharing your experience on social media, please mention us!
@RockReachHouse on lnstagram
You can “check-in" to “Rock Reach House" as well.
• TOT TAX
In compliance with San Bernardino County law, an additional 7% Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is applied to the nightly rates you see for Rock Reach House. Currently, Airbnb does not have an option to separately include this tax.
• RV HOOKUP
There is an RV utility hook up area on the property that includes electric, water and sewage. Arrangements must be made ahead of time if you wish to use these facilities.
• CLOSEST AIRPORTS
Palm Springs, CA (PSP) – 50 mins
Ontario, CA (ONT) – 1 hour 35 mins
Orange County, CA (JWA) – 2 hours
Long Beach, CA (LGB) – 2 hours 20 mins
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) – 2 hours 30 mins
San Diego, CA (SAN) – 2 hours 40 mins
• CO-HOSTED BY HOMESTEAD MODERN